- ½ cup quinoa, covered by 1″ of water and soaked for 6 – 8 hours (or overnight)
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 heaping tablespoon Gluten Free flour
- 1/2 grated small zucchini or 1/3 of a large one (after grating squeeze excess water out, also use yellow zucchini to avoid making your crust look green, unless you want it to look green then you can also add spinach!- why not have veggies in the base too)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic (optional)
- black pepper and some dried herbs to flavor he base (optional) I used some Italian seasoning sometimes!
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce with other veggies added in, make it as saucey as you wish! I love exta sauce on mine.
- 1 cup shredded organic mozzarella or favorite vegan cheese
- Fresh herbs
- Red pepper flakes
- Finely sliced zucchini, onions and roasted red peppers
- roasted garlic
- Soak the quinoa in water for about 8 hours or overnight.
- When you are ready to start making pizza, preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a 9″ pie dish pr pan with high sides with parchment paper and drizzle one tablespoon of oil in the center. Spread around with your fingers or spatula till its well coated on the paper till the edge of the pie dish
- Rinse the quinoa with fresh water, then add quinoa and the ¼ cup of water, baking powder, salt, grated and dried zucchini and remaining olive oil, and blend on high in your Vitamix or blender of choice until smooth and creamy like pancake batter. Also add the herbs and garlic now or you may sprinkle the herbs after next step.
- Adjust temperature now to 415 F
- Pour batter into prepared pie dish and bake for 12- 15 minutes, the base should look well set now and you should be able to flip it easily. if it seems soft on the top cook another minute or so. Then carefully using the parchment paper edges and maybe another tray flip and return to oven baking for another 12 – 15 minutes until browned and edges are crispy.
The crust will look like this! The plain ones or the one below is the herbed garlic one for the adults!
- You can now leave the base to cool or use immediately.
- Top with sauce, cheese and any other toppings you’d like. This is the way I had it the first time with vegetable toppings and then also added some organic cheeses later.
- Then bake for 10 – 15 minutes until cheese has melted and started to brown slightly, or until your cheese bubbles as you want it!
- Remove from the oven, let it cool for a few minutes in the pan, then transfer to a cutting board and slice away. Add extra cheese or any fresh herbs and serve hot! Enjoy!!
This is what you end up with… cheese only, or with veggies only or with cheese and pepperoni! I found some organic/ Nitrate/nitrate free options for my clients kids.
If you try this at home I would love to hear from you on how it turned out for YOU!